MRSA: A Most Unwelcome Guest
What is MRSA?
MRSA is a drug-resistant staph bacterium that has become a problem not just in hospitals but in common places such as schools, gyms and locker rooms. On The Doctors, Freda Lewis-Hall, M.D. and Dr. Travis Stork discuss this often very serious infection and steps you can take to help reduce risk to you and others.
Read THIS ARTICLE or see the VIDEO below to learn more!
Read more about MRSA
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus known as MRSA infection is a special type of staph bacteria that is resistant to many of the antibiotics. Commonly used antibiotics are ineffective on a staph infection and it can become a serious problem if not treated quickly. Infection prevention is the best way to not only avoid an MRSA infection but reduce the chances of its spread. The bacteria can travel skin to skin causing infections to other individuals as well.
MRSA infections start as a small infection which is similar to a spider bite or a small wound that appears very small and insignificant. But within a few days, it can become very painful and cause fever while growing larger or causing inflammation. Infection prevention with alcohol and bleach-based disinfectants as well as natural disinfectants to clean the most used surfaces can reduce the risks associated.
People who live in crowded societies, army living in barracks, or health care staff is more inclined to get an MRSA infection as compared to others. Although, children who attend schools, high-school wrestlers, athletes, and others can also get an MRSA infection. To prevent MRSA infections, it is important to disinfect surfaces properly.
Signs and Symptoms
Staph infection on the skin starts with a small, inflamed bump which is similar to a pimple, spider bite, and another insect bite sometimes. The skin infected with bacteria often feels warm to touch and is filled with pus or other fluids.
The person with an MRSA infection may develop a fever and notice the infection growing or becoming more painful, a day or two after its appearance. The infection can seep deeper and infect the bone joints, organs, bloodstream, and ultimately the heart which can become life-threatening.
MRSA is a consequence of the use of anti-biotics appropriately or inappropriately that has been going on for years. The resistant bacteria strain is stronger and resistant to antibiotics in some cases where it can play havoc on a person’s body.
Those who use recreational drugs often and use anti-biotics inappropriately are at higher risk of developing an acute MRSA infection. The bacterial-infection is transmittable from skin to skin, the surface to the skin, and vice versa.
Those who go through surgeries and tubing, joint reconstruction surgeries, and other procedures are vulnerable to an MRSA infection and therefore it is vital to keep the environment of their residence not merely clean but pathogen-free through the use of natural and chemical disinfectants to stay safe.
MRSA is often found on the skin of individuals who come in contact with; bodily secretions of patients, dirt or debris from soil and waste, and live in damp and poor environments.
According to Disease Protection and Control Centre, it is found on the skin of around 2% of people but it stays harmless and does not infect the body commonly until it becomes resistant. The resistant MRSA infection can become untreatable to a great extent because anti-biotics stop working.
This can lead to painful wounds on the body, which are treated by surgically removing the fluids and cleaning them. Infection prevention serves as the best cure for this disease by limiting the exposure of others to this wound and disinfecting the surfaces coming in contact with the bacteria appropriately.
The MRSA infection is caused by bacteria that are very similar in structure to a common bacterium. Because not all bacteria can be killed with vinegar or another natural disinfectant, similarly disinfecting for MRSA also requires a tough disinfectant.
Washing hands carefully and keeping the skin clean can save you from not only MRSA but several other pathogens that are problem-causing. Wounds are more susceptible to bacteria, therefore the use of clean sterile gauze covering can limit the pathogens coming into contact with the skin.
Cleaning the body and keeping the environment of home, office, and cars clean can diminish bacteria activity. Even if you have been in contact with an MRSA infection-causing bacteria, cleaning and disinfection of surfaces and body will destroy the pathogen and halt further transmission.